SHARE

Despite the challenges presented by New Zealand’s recent shift back to Alert Level 2, the Oamaru Opera House remains unrattled.

Changing alert levels were just part of life now, director Frances McElhinney said, and the Oamaru Opera House would simply adapt, move forward and change dates when it had to.

“We are unable to control it, so we’ll adapt to it.”

The recent Covid-19 alert level change led to the disruption of three shows at the Opera House, including the “frustrating” postponement of its Marlon Williams concert, scheduled for March 3.

About three-quarters of the concert venue was booked, but under Level 2 the Opera House was unable to socially distance the audience.

“We’ve gone from a busy week to a slow week.

“We’re just picking up the pieces.”

She said the phone had been “running red hot” with people inquiring about the fate of shows and their tickets.

She reassured ticket-holders they would be notified of any cancellations and postponements, but this was made easier when people filled in their contact information when buying a ticket.

Mrs McElhinney hoped people would not be hesitant to book tickets for coming shows, guaranteeing full refunds were available.

Waitaki Mayor Gary Kircher said the level change had created an uncertainty for people organising events in the district, especially when it came to knowing when to “make the call” to cancel.

Many people had events planned this week that were disrupted as an unfortunate consequence of Covid-19, he said.

Organisers of Waimate’s Whitehorse Big Easy, due to start on Sunday, were forced to postpone the multisport event just hours before it was set to start.

The annual Five Forks Foothills trail ride will go ahead this weekend, but under Level 2 restrictions there would be no food service and no spectators allowed.

The week-long Otago Goldfields Cavalcade to Twizel was able to go ahead last weekend.

Each trail had fewer than 100 participants and it was not difficult to maintain a 1m space between entrants, Goldfields Heritage Trust spokesman Terry Davis said.

However, activities welcoming the cavalcade in Twizel had been cancelled.

The North Otago Relay For Life has now been postponed until April 10, and will move to Takaro Park as Centennial Park was not available on that date.

It will also be reduced from a 24-hour event to one of six hours.

“The event will still be amazing and will bring the community together to remember, celebrate and fight back against cancer,” Cancer Society Otago and Southland marketing manager Jonet Warhurst said.

Mr Kircher urged all locals to stick to the Level 2 rules.

“We got here because people didn’t do the right thing.”

People could “do the right thing” by staying home if they were unwell, getting tested and remaining isolated until getting their results.

He urged people to continue using the contact tracer app

“If something does happen, it helps protect you.

“We’ll all get through this together.”