Mystery Rally to go ahead at last

SHARE

After being cancelled earlier this year due to the weather, the inaugural Maheno Mystery Rally will be take place later this month.

The rally, which will run on a mystery route from Scotts Brewing Co to the Maheno Tavern, will be held on September 21, after being cancelled in April.

Organiser Helen Cooper, from the Maheno Tavern, said she was looking forward to finally holding the rally after “much disappointment” from lots of people that it had previously been cancelled.

The tavern held a pre-1980 vehicle rally last year, which was really popular, so they decided to open it up to all vehicles this year so people could get together and have some fun, she said.

“The idea is an old-fashioned type of rally that involves a family unit.

“We’re trying to encourage people to be more involved in things that bring people together.”

The rally will end with a barbecue lunch at the tavern and the Timaru band, The Grooves, will also be playing.

“It’s something everyone can enjoy.”

Anyone would be welcome to come along on the day and take part in the free rally, including children, Ms Cooper said.

The rally’s route would not feature any gravel roads so it would be safe for all vehicles.

The event will be held on Sunday, September 21, starting outside Scotts Brewing Co at 10am and finishing at the Maheno Tavern about lunchtime.

The barbecue lunch would be $10 for adults and $5 for children under 12.

By RUBY HARFIELD

PHOTO: FILE

READY TO ROLL: Mystery Rally co-organiser Stephen Purton, with his Citroen, and Vintage Car Club chairman Wayne Abernethy, with his yellow MG, who were getting ready for April’s cancelled Mystery Rally.