School forced to seek other classroom options

SHARE

Fenwick School’s board of trustees has exhausted all avenues to have a new classroom built at the school after missing out on government funding last month.
On June 24, Education Minister Hekia Parata and Associate Education Minister Nikki Kaye announced that $37 million would be invested in schools around Otago and Southland.
Pembroke School, which needs two more classrooms, was granted $350,000, while Fenwick School, which requires one more classroom, missed out despite putting a strong case to the Ministry of Education.
Fenwick board of trustees chairman Damien Goodsir was upset the school was overlooked and said the school now had to come up with other options to house its growing roll, which, as of July 1, was 292 pupils.
“It’s a little bit disappointing to hear they were not going to provide one. You wonder what the criteria was and why we didn’t make it.
“We have a lot of children coming through.
“That’s a good thing but it means we’ve been getting so many new entrants we’ve had to create a satellite classroom or use the library.”
While the school will not be able to build a classroom, it is possible an existing building may be moved to the school.
However, that would require Ministry backing.
“Our main option … ideally, if they [the Ministry] do come back to us and say yes, we will have to look at putting a pre-fab on because it would cost too much to build ourselves.”
Mr Goodsir said the costs of a prefab had not been determined.