Oamaru Mail photographer Carol Edwards took this photo of the South African War Memorial on Thames St, at night a few days ago.
The memorial was unveiled by Governor Lord Plunket in 1905 and was shifted 40m south and turned 180deg in 2008 as part of a road safety project.
The soldier on top of the monument, “Trooper Jack” is based on North Otago man David Mickle Jack and was carved by Italian sculptor Carlo Bergamini.
Oamaru solicitor and explorer William G. Grave, raised most of the 1700 needed for the memorial by cycling around North Otago asking for donations.
The memorial is registered as a Category II historic place by Heritage New Zealand.