Ten-year-old Oamaru boy Aljay Rankin is being praised for his clear thinking and quick action in saving his sister and home from a potentially disastrous fire.
On June 13, Aljay was in the shower when his 16-year-old sister, Alex, was cooking tea.
The element she was cooking chips on caught fire after some oil was spilt on it accidently.
“[Alex] came in and said `what do we do if the element is on fire?’ and I said `wet tea towel’,” Aljay said.
Instead of taking the potentially disastrous action of dousing the element with water, the Oamaru North School pupil knew to use a wet towel after a fire safety demonstration he saw at Oamaru on Fire last month.
Pick up a copy of the Oamaru Mail for the full story…
We’re currently offering a special subscription offer for website browsers of $4.50 a week for the Oamaru Mail to be home delivered for a minimum of 3 months.
Call Kathy or Diane on 433 0521
Oamaru Mail – Customer Service Team
– New subscriptions – Subscription Payments – Delivery issues – Any other queries relating to your subscription
Tel: 03 433 0521
Phone lines are open 8.30am to 4pm weekdays.best Running shoes brandThe world is yours – Neue Sneaker, Apparel und mehr für Kids