The court case against the man charged with causing Allan Hubbard's death is ready to proceed but a fixture date is yet to be set.
Mr Hubbard, 83, was a passenger in a vehicle driven by his wife, Jean, when it was involved in a head-on collision with a four-wheel-drive utility truck towing a trailer on State Highway 1 at Hilderthorpe, about 8km north of Oamaru, on September 2, 2011.
Andrew John Earl, 40, of Milton, was the other driver. The court case against Earl, charged with causing Mr Hubbard's death, was scheduled to start on December 3, 2012, but was postponed after police requested an adjournment.
As a result of a prosecution review of evidence, more inquiries were conducted and Oamaru police Detective Kevin Kirkman said the case was now ready to proceed.
A nominal date of February 13 had been set, but a fixture date was yet to be confirmed for a defended hearing, which was expected to last at least three days.
Mr Kirkman said he could not confirm whether Earl would appear in the Oamaru District Court next week. Earl may appear for a trial date to be set, but his attendance could be excused.
It had been thought the case could go ahead during a week in in April, but a defence lawyer was unavailable. Mr Kirkman said: "So we are still trying to find a week that everyone is available."
In the Dunedin District Court last May, Earl maintained his not-guilty pleas to a charge of careless driving causing Mr Hubbard's death and careless driving causing injury to Mrs Hubbard, 82.