A rogue power wire set alight about a hectare of farmland near Kurow in the early hours of yesterday morning.
About 1am, the Kurow fire service was called out to the blaze on Otematata-Kurow Rd in Aviemore, with the Omarama crew not far behind them.
Waitaki District Council rural fire manager Steve Couper said the fire was believed to have been sparked by a power wire which fell.
He said initially it was a waiting game for the fire crew, which could not get close until the power had been turned off. When the power was switched off, the fire had already burned itself out, on a still night.
"The Omarama boys waited, had a quick look around and the fire had burned out," he said.
They left the farmer to keep an eye on the land overnight, and he had not reported any more problems yesterday.
The fire service was at the scene for about two-and-a-half hours.