Taieri withdraw from Sevens

SHARE

Winners of last year’s inaugural Maheno Sevens tournament, Taieri, will not defend their title after withdrawing from this year’s competition to be held on February 21.

The 2015 competition is being organised by the Maheno Home and School committee and will act as a fundraiser for the school.

Alhambra-Union, Valley, Maheno and Kaikorai will return to the tournament for a second time.

Taieri club captain Mike Casey said a contingent of premier grade players are currently plying their trade overseas while others have picked up injuries.

“We’ve got quite a few premier boys playing overseas at the moment and they’re not due back until March and April, there’s also been some niggly injuries, there’s a variety of reasons,” he said.

“We’ve done some preseason training and a couple of guys have picked up niggly injuries from the hard ground, we had a core of five or six guys that were real keen but the others had those other things on.”

Casey said his team will look forward to returning to the competition next year.

“It’s a shame the boys won’t be able to defend their title but I’m sure we’ll be back next year, we were also invited to the Queenstown Sevens but we had to turn that down, but I’m sure we’ll be back to Maheno next year.”

Maheno Home and School committee member Jo Hay said she was yet to hear from Otago Boys’ High School as to whether they will be sending a team north while Kurow remain keen on competing but have not confirmed.

By James Ford