All recommendations made to the Waitaki Boys’ High School board of trustees following a report by independent consultant Cleave Hay should have been completed by today.
Mr Hay wrote the report in June after concerns were raised by the Ministry of Education about the administration and management of the school during a meeting in May.
Board of trustees chairman Garry McLeod said everything was going well, however, he would not be able to confirm that the recommendations had been completed until the day.
“It’s all going according to plan.”
There were several recommendations that should have been completed in August and Mr McLeod said these had been done but he could not comment further.
Mr Hay said in his report, that if changes were not made, there would be the high likelihood of seriously negative effects in student achievement and welfare, staff welfare and staff turnover, as well as health and safety complaints and personal grievances, in addition to the risks to the school roll and reputation.
“In my professional opinion, Waitaki Boys’ High School is certainly at a point of crisis and needs immediate and comprehensive commitment to rectifying a number of significant risks,” Mr Hay said in his report to the board.
The recommendations which should have been completed by the board of trustees from the report are:
1. Contracting an appropriate person/s to fully investigate all the reported matters (independent people with authority delegated by the WBHS Board). Completion date September 30.
2. A review of all school-based systems (covered by ERO review). ERO has dealt with this recommendation. Completion date August 15.
3. A full review of employment processes. Completion date September 30.
4. A full review of staff welfare. Completion date September 30.
5. A full review of student welfare. Dealt with in conjunction with recommendation #1.
6. Exit interviews offered to staff who have resigned in last 12 months. Competion date August 30.
7. A full review of governance practices and performance of board of trustees. Completion date August 30.
8. A complete and satisfactory processing of all formal complaints.
By RUBY HARFIELD