Dream result . . . The Oamaru Rowing Club's men’s novice coxed eight took gold at the Canterbury Rowing Championships last weekend. PHOTO: SUPPLIED

A group of Oamaru men impressed at the Canterbury Rowing Championships at the weekend, winning double gold.

The men’s novice coxed eight — Lachlan Wright, Zeke Goodsir, Harrison Weir, Finn Strang, Cody Marshall, Jett Rogers, Scott Hay, Lochlan McLaren and Henry Robinson — won gold comfortably in a time of 6min 55sec at Lake Ruataniwha.

Wright, Goodsir, Weir, Strang and Robinson backed up that performance when they won gold in the men’s coxed four, and Wright, Rogers, McLaren, Nye Jones-Hogan and Harry Kelland won the boy’s under-15 coxed four.

Oamaru Rowing Club coach and captain Ivan Docherty said the novice eight was ‘‘certainly very impressive’’. Watching the fours repeat that effort was great.

‘‘They went out and repeated it and really stamped their mark on the field early and brought home quite an impressive victory to be honest,’’ Docherty said.

The club also produced six third placings, including the women’s novice coxedeight, who were fighting against two of the best school rowing clubs in New Zealand — Christchurch Girls’ High School and Rangi Ruru Girls’ School. Oamaru was right in it until Christchurch and Rangi Ruru edged a slight gap in the final 500m.

The regatta was one of the biggest Canterbury had hosted, with representation from across the South Island, and Wellington.

‘‘The team did really well in very hot conditions. Overall the whole squad produced some outstanding rowing over the course of the two days.’’

Oamaru’s 36 rowers stayed in Twizel for a training camp this week, as did several other clubs, and would return home today.

The training camp was crucial for laying the groundwork for the South Island Rowing Championship on January 29 and New Zealand Rowing Championships on February 15.

‘‘We go into Canterbury a wee bit rusty, I suppose, and lots of clubs do. We have this week, we get ourselves primed for the business end of the season,’’ Docherty said.

Crews were on the water nearly three times a day and were working hard to ‘‘get some kilometres under our belt’’.